This condensed guide details how your personal information may be used by ourselves and the Credit Reference and Fraud Prevention Agencies.
- When you open an account with us, we will check the following records about you and others (see 2 below)
- Our own internal records.;
- Those at credit reference agencies (CRAs). When CRAs receive a search from us they will place a search footprint on your credit file that may be seen by other lenders. They supply to us both
- Public (including the electoral register) and shared credit and fraud prevention information.
- Those at fraud prevention agencies (FPAs).
We will make checks such as; assessing this application for credit and verifying identities to prevent and detect crime and money laundering. We may also make periodic searches at CRAs and FPAs to manage your account with us.
- If you make a joint application tell us you have a spouse or financial associate, we will link your records together so you must be sure that you have their agreement to disclose information about them. CRAs also link your records together and these links will remain on your and their files until such time when you or your partner successfully files for a disassociation from the CRAs
- Information on applications will be sent to CRAs and will be recorded by them. If you have a loan from us, we will give details of your accounts and how you manage it/them to CRAs. If you borrow and do not repay in full and on time, CRAs will record the outstanding debt. This information may be supplied to other organisations by CRAs and FPAs to perform similar checks and to trace your whereabouts in order to recover the debts that you owe. Records remain on file for 6 years after they are closed, whether settled by you or defaulted.
- If you give us false or inaccurate information and we suspect any identify fraud we will record this and may also pass this information to FPAs and other organisations involved in crime and fraud prevention.
- If you have borrowed from us and do not make the payments that you owe us, we will trace your whereabouts in order to recover the debts.
- We and other organisations may access and use from other countries the information recorded by fraud prevention agencies.
- Your data may also be used for other purposes for which you give your specific permission or, in very limited circumstances when required by law or where permitted under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998.
How to find out more:
This is a condensed version and if you would like to read the full details of how your data may be used please visit our website at www.communitybanknetwork.co.uk or phone 0203 375 0221.
You can contact the CRAs currently operating in the UK; the information they hold may not be the same so it is worth contacting them all. They will charge you a small statutory fee.
• TransUnion LLC, Consumer Services Team, PO Box 491, Leeds, LS3 1WZ or call 0870 0601414.
• Equifax PLC, Credit File Advice Centre, PO Box 3001, Bradford, BD1 5US or call 0870 010 0583 or log on to www.myequifax.co.uk
• Experian, Consumer Help Service, PO Box 8000, Nottingham NG80 7WF or call 0844 4818000 or log on to www.experian.co.uk.